RE: (erielack) logos

Rick Sedlisky asked:

> Regarding the EL diamond over the wings during the transition
> years, does
> anyone have access to any of the designs that were submitted
> by employees in the
> contest that decided the identy of the Erie Lackawanna?
>
> I understand that a contest was held with the logo as we know
> it being the
> winner.

I would love to have seen the other entries! All I know is that the employee (a fireman?) won a TV set for his logo!

> Also, was there more than just the aforementioned
> diamond over the wings
> logo during the transition period?

There were a few different lettering options on the different units in the transition period:

* Erie RS2/3s - usually just an EL black/yellow diamond over the Erie diamond on the side; sometimes they'd also add the EL diamond between the wings on the ends, but not always.
* Erie GP's - like the RS's, usually a black/yellow diamond on the side, but occasionally a black diamond with white center on the ends between the wings
* Erie PA's - just a new diamond over the Erie one on the side, and sometimes on the nose as well
* Erie F/FA's - usually had yellow/black EL diamonds stuck over the Erie diamonds (both sides and nose, very few didn't get the nose logo redone). A token few EMD F-units also received the large yellow "ERIE-LACKAWANNA"-in-a-box that appears on the E8's (see below), though the roadname was centered on the carbody in the lowest panel.
* Erie E8's - a yellow diamond with a "hollow" center on the nose and the sides, and a large yellow "ERIE-LACKAWANNA" with a rectangular border on the lower part of the carbody near the cab  (though some units didn't get the full EL roadname, just the diamonds)
* DL&W E8's - The same large roadname as on the Erie units, only in maroon lettering with a gray background. A clever decal was developed for the nose - it was a maroon outline of a rectangle, with a small EL diamond in the middle, all with a gray background and stuck right over the DL&W logo
* DL&W black units - usually just got a new number, most of the time in EL's condensed Gothic yellow lettering
* DL&W F-units - most just got a new number until they were repainted EL. One exception was a freight F-7 that got 7" ERIE LACKAWANNA lettering neatly painted over "LACKAWANNA" on the carbody side, and an EL diamond replaced the Lackawanna rectangle on the nose.