RE: (erielack) logos and wings

Chris Thurner wrote:

> I think the Erie diamond over the spread wings is just
> simply classic and one of the top logos of all time.
> I don't think the transition logo of the early El
> years with the EL diamond over the wings worked well
> at all and thanks to Wm. White, EL got the diamond
> discussed above with the classic GMY paint scheme.

As a side note, I believe the wings were EMD's idea - original Erie F-units didn't have wings (I'm talking the first FT's). EMD's styling department seemed to enjoy wings, and they ended up on several other roads' paint schemes designed by EMD.

> This will probably ruffle a few feathers in this list
> community, but my favorite logo of all time is the PRR
> red keystone.  Especially on a background of brunswick
> green, it stood out and IMO was in it's day, and may
> still be, the most instantly recognizable rr embelm.
> Yes, Pennsylvania was far to long to place within it,
> but the interlocked PRR in gold or yellow (I'm sure
> Paul T. knows exactly what color it was)

And why should I know this? :)

[for the record, the color was either gold leaf or dulux gold, based on the application, with the inside being painted toludine red ;) ]

> As to why the PRR keystone made such an impression is
> essetially a chicken or the egg argument.  Is it's
> impression so great because of its design?  or because
> of the PRR's impact on the industry over the 110 - 120
> years or it's existence (i.e. it's presence in the
> eastern US (particularly the NE)and the ubiquity of
> its rolling stock on the rails all over this country.)

I'm thinking it was sheer numbers - the PRR had more freight cars than any other road in the country (I read that it's fleet of H21 hoppers was larger than many other Class 1 railroad's entire freight rosters!)   The more you see something, the more it becomes "classic."

> I also always liked the BN logo with its nested
> letters.  While on this theme, I detest the PC mating
> worms, whether in all white or the short lived red and
> white schemes.

I must be one of the few people that actually thinks the PC logo is pretty good. I think it needed some more "rounded edges" - it looks too linear in the implemented version - but the concept was solid, IMHO.

> D&H's shield was also a classy, recognizable label.

And it was old, too, but unlike UP's logo, it didn't make you think of "old."  It makes me think of "powerful."