Re: (erielack) Re: CNN interview.

Joshua,

The same thought occurred to me.  Also, in the bigger picture, the
railfanning/consitutional rights story was by far the more important story.

Chuck

                      "Joshua"
                      <mail_@_joshuakblay.c
                      om>                 To:     TrainGG1_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:                    erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  Re: (erielack) Re: CNN interview.

                      08/04/2005 09:41 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Joshua"

I was wondering if there would have been more to the story if the plane
crash in Toronto hadn't happened, I honestly thought there would be more
to it (the bit on railfanning).

Joshua

> Watched Paula Zahn last night and her coverage was on The Enabling --
oh,
> excuse me, The Patriot Act and what broad powers it now gives
governmental
> agencies in investigating suspected threats against the homeland.
Perhaps the
> most disturbing is that proposed changes in The Enabling (there I go
again,
> sorry) Patriot Act will allow law enforcement snoop through your records

> (library, telephone, bank, personal finance, etc.) without having to
go before a
> judge to get approval. Now THAT is disturbing.
>
> The lead off story was a  well-deserved reblackening of Metra's eye  over

> those two fellas harassed at Morton Grove several months ago. It's one
 thing to
> ask someone what they are doing and why (and I have been asked that
question
> several times and really have no problem with that) -- but to have a
cop tell
> someone that "The Constitution (or any part of it) has been superceded
 by
> The Patriot Act" is really outrageous.
>
> It appears that unless you have authored a book or had  your byline
appear in
> a magazine (in which case you can prove that this is  your hobby), you
may be
> detained while pursuing your hobby. (As it turns out, I  have both -- but

> come on, how many people have -- meaning that a  majority of the fans
cannot come
> up with that kind of  proof.)   It fills me with fear that personal
liberties
> are being  "bushed" by The Enabling (damn, sorry) Patriot Act.
>
> The government has the right to decide what books are OK to  read (by
> accessing your library card transactions) what television you  may
watch (with cable,
> the government might be able to obtain records to see  what you
watched) the
> next stop is your lifestyle -- like making sure that who  you sleep
with is
> you lawfully wedded spouse (remember, our President supports  "family
values"),
> what foods you eat ("junk food is not good for you -- so  we will take
it out
> of the school cafeterias and force McDonalds' to serve  healthy food
> choices") and what habits you have (it is one thing to tell me I
cannot smoke in a
> public building or on a bus or train -- but God Bless a Milk  Cow, if
I pay for
> the damn car  I darn well ought to be able to smoke my  stinky cigar
in it --
> although I see the state of New Jersey is considering  taking that
right away
> from me too).
>

> Anyway, enough tirade for now (although I'd better enjoy that right
before
> it is taken away as well).
>
> Bill Shapotkin
>

>            The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List