(erielack) Re: CNN interview.

Watched Paula Zahn last night and her coverage was on The Enabling -- oh,
excuse me, The Patriot Act and what broad powers it now gives governmental
agencies in investigating suspected threats against the homeland. Perhaps the
most disturbing is that proposed changes in The Enabling (there I go again,
sorry) Patriot Act will allow law enforcement snoop through your records
(library, telephone, bank, personal finance, etc.) without having to go before a
judge to get approval. Now THAT is disturbing.

The lead off story was a  well-deserved reblackening of Metra's eye  over
those two fellas harassed at Morton Grove several months ago. It's one  thing to
ask someone what they are doing and why (and I have been asked that  question
several times and really have no problem with that) -- but to have a  cop tell
someone that "The Constitution (or any part of it) has been superceded  by
The Patriot Act" is really outrageous.

It appears that unless you have authored a book or had  your byline appear in
a magazine (in which case you can prove that this is  your hobby), you may be
detained while pursuing your hobby. (As it turns out, I  have both -- but
come on, how many people have -- meaning that a  majority of the fans cannot come
up with that kind of  proof.)   It fills me with fear that personal liberties
are being  "bushed" by The Enabling (damn, sorry) Patriot Act.

The government has the right to decide what books are OK to  read (by
accessing your library card transactions) what television you  may watch (with cable,
the government might be able to obtain records to see  what you watched) the
next stop is your lifestyle -- like making sure that who  you sleep with is
you lawfully wedded spouse (remember, our President supports  "family values"),
what foods you eat ("junk food is not good for you -- so  we will take it out
of the school cafeterias and force McDonalds' to serve  healthy food
choices") and what habits you have (it is one thing to tell me I  cannot smoke in a
public building or on a bus or train -- but God Bless a Milk  Cow, if I pay for
the damn car  I darn well ought to be able to smoke my  stinky cigar in it --
although I see the state of New Jersey is considering  taking that right away
from me too).

Anyway, enough tirade for now (although I'd better enjoy that right before
it is taken away as well).

Bill Shapotkin