From: Jim Guthrie
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: (erielack) Erie Anthracite marketing 1910-1917

I've asked this before, but just in case anyone has come across anything
since:

I've read some interesting testimony from a D&H official (regarding "high
anthracite prices" in New England that says the Erie attempted to widen the
use of anthracite on the west end and in Chicago in the period after about
1911. I would assume deals were made with local coal dealers and such to
encourage new consignees.

This is traffic that would have been routed north out of Scranton to
Susquehanna then west from there, of course. I have seen some extensive
revisions of tariffs through the Buffalo gateway during that period as well,
so I have to assume the Erie was looking for a longer haul for anthracite in
wake of the suits ending things like 65 percent contracts etc.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Jim Guthrie