Re: (erielack) U34CH sound

In a message dated 8/3/2005 8:19:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
s.kay4_@_verizon.net writes:

They  were actually restricted to 55MPH from Denville to Harrison.

I don't  remember why. It was the only restriction on the Hoboken Division
except  for Hog Back Bridge on the Gladstone  Line.

Steve

Old timers always told me it was because they beat the crap out of the rail
with the 6 wheel trucks..
I remember tho, that the restriction was lifted somewhere around 1992 or
93.. Still within the reign of the U34.. I was riding the day it was lifted, I
recall, I got on the engine in Madison and the engineer told me about it...
Thing was, by then on the M&E at least it wasnt easy to get a U34 up to high
speeds anyhow, but it was neat when they did away with the restriction...
- -Pat