Re: (erielack) Logos

In a message dated 8/2/2005 1:24:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
paultup_@_lucent.com writes:

My take  on the logos:

* The DL&W folks will shoot me, but I always thought  the "rectangle" DL&W
logo was, well, kinda boring. Not overly inspired to  me, but perhaps that fits
with the conservative nature of the  railroad.

NOW we shouldn't mix up conservative with tasteful, but we will let you  live
another day. :)

* Dan Biernacki once told me that the Erie logo was perhaps the  "perfect"
railroad logo back in the steam era. No other logo captured the name  of road so
well. (of course, I'm sure it helped that the road's name was only  four
characters long ;)   I would have to agree with Dan on this.  How many other roads
had a logo with their name on it in 3-foot high  letters??? It was simple,
stood out, and the contrast between the diamond and  the circle added visual
interest.

I wish they would have broke with 30 or 40 years of tradition, and adapted
the side rectangle logo used on the tender of 1151 (1939) when it went to  the
worlds fair:

     Lackawanna
       Railroad

That band around it was great looking, and would have  really enhanced all
there steamers. Not to many RRs come to mind when it came to  flaunting the
availability of the sides of there tenders. It was a very  marketable bill board
but MOST uses were exceedingly   conservative.
I guess it was a tough tradition to break.

Bob