Re: (erielack) Latest Cutoff funding actually looks respectable

Brian,

The good news is that it's passable from end to end, mostly on what was the
westbound track area (the eastbound track still has ties and ballast).  The
bad news is that the dirt bikers and 4 wheelers have created hundreds of
ruts that make the ride a bumpy experience.  There actually are some smooth
sections (not many), but stray ballast can add to the bumpiness even on
these sections.  No tree trimming has taken place, so especially this time
of year it's more difficult to appreciate the engineering of the
right-of-way.  I know of no active patrolling that goes on, so I think it's
extremely unlikely that you will be hassled anywhere along the line.

Chuck

                      BPRutter_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     erielack@lists.elhts.org
                      s.elhts.org         cc:
                                                  Re: (erielack) Latest Cutoff funding actually looks respectable
                      08/02/2005 11:46 AM
                      Please respond to
                      BPRutter

Speaking of the Cutoff, does anyone know what condition it is in for hiking

or biking?  My son and I hiked parts of it probably 6 years ago, but I
haven't
been back since.  With all the interest in re-opening it, has there been
more
of an effort to keep people off of it?  Has there been trimming of trees
which
would have the (probably unintended) effect of making it easier to
walk/ride
on?  I would love to be able to hike or bike the whole thing before they
start
construction (I know, that may well leave me lots of time..).  I would be
grateful for any insights people have on it.

Brian Rutter