                      erielack-owner_@_list         erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  RE: (erielack) RE: U34CH sound

                      08/02/2005 10:14 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"

> I'm curious if you know whether the conversion from freight
> to passenger
> and back was a flip of the switch, or was there a more
> involved procedure?
> Since the original intention was for EL to use them for both
> purposes it
> would seem inefficient for it to have required a trip to the shop.  I
> wonder if all U34CHs were set-up this way, or was that an
> option that was
> factory-installed for EL/NJDOT?

This was very simple. There was a four-way switch in the cab. I don't
remember all the positions exactly, but one of the positions was "Passenger
Run" and the other was "Freight Run."  That's all there was to it - turn a
switch!

> Final question: do any of
> these creatures
> still exist anywhere in operation?

3372 sits in Passaic, NJ at the New York & Greenwood Lake Railway's
facility there; it's owned by URHS.

At least four were operable in Mexico as of 1998, and at least one
(ex-3376) was operating as a cement plant switcher in Monterey, MX as of
2003, but I'm not sure if any are still running today.