(erielack) EL Motive power arrangements

If I'm not mistaken, the U34CH was the catalyst for the U36C. EL and the
transit folks wanted basically a U33C with an extra 200hp for HEP, so GE
tweaked the prime mover to get 3600 hp, which was then offered in a "pure"
freight unit. It wasn't the first time EL helped create a new locomotive.
When it went back to Alco for another round of roadswitchers, EL wanted a
C424 with a GE generator, which produced 100 more hp. Voila, the C425.

I think the length of today's digest must be a record; don't you guys have
anything better to do? It's gonna make me late for work!   8^)

Paul Brezicki

Therein lies the rub: The only units that could pull the Pullman-Standard
commuter coaches were the U34CH's. The P-S coaches were all electrically
operated - lighting and climate control - and the U34CH's were the only
diesels with head-end power.