RE: (erielack) EL Motive power arrangements

What I remember most vividly about the U34CHs was being roused out of bed
on a Saturday morning when they started running these beasts on the
Morristown Line in the early 1970s.  In anticipation of the
re-electrification, the state was taking down the pedestrian bridges along
the line and they had to de-energize the wires on weekends in order to do
so.  This continued on and off for years.  During the summer it was great
since on a hot day you could get air conditioning.  But...for those of us
who lived along the line--I lived about 3/10 west of Mountain Station in
South Orange--the locomotive starting up from a dead stop could almost wake
the dead.  I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that they were
amongst the loudest locomotives ever produced.  That I can confirm from
first hand experience.  I can just imagine what a TRIO of those units must
have sounded like tackling a heavy grade...perhaps the impetus behind the
Night of the Living Dead.

                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"
                      <paultup_@_lucent.com To:     "'Joel Long'" <el2401@willoughbyinc.com>
                      >                           erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 RE: (erielack) EL Motive power arrangements

                      08/01/2005 11:58 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"

Joel Long asked:

> If the EL ran this service and the units were dedicated to
> this service.
> Why were the units painted in the Black and Silver Scheme
> instead of GMY or
> some other scheme?  Joel

The dark blue (not black) and silver scheme was NJDoT's paint scheme, and
they paid for the units, so their colors were applied.