RE: (erielack) EL Motive power arrangements

> What type of motive power did the EL use on their diffrent
> trains? I noticed that their passenger trains was either
> U34CH or E8s, and their passenger trains

Passenger trains (prior to the arrival of U34CH's) were hauled primarily by RS2/RS3's, GP7s, and E8s. All units used were equipped with steam generators for heating the cars, though in summer months when the steam generator wasn't needed, you could see GP35's or non-steam-generator GP7s pulling the trains.

> whatever was available went to what was needed at that time
> for that train or did EL have a prefrence on a certin motive
> power arrangement on their freights (IE coal, grain,
> manifest, local ect)? I was trying to figure that out but no
> photos of people I talked to could give me an anwser on what
> the story was. Thanks for responses!

It was up to the power desk at the terminals to determine what to send out. Most roadfreights were led by a combination of SD45 (and variants), U33C/U36C, U25B, and GP35 units. Occasionally, you'd see a C424 or C425 thrown in there as well.

Locals on the east end were primarily run by EMD switchers, while on the west end, Alco RS2/RS3 units were the preferred power for locals.

Of course, there are ALWAYS exceptions to these rules - "never say never" on the EL. Near C-day, the EL would often use road power on locals (I have some shots of C425 on the Greenwood Lake Haul, and a U25B on a Silver Lake Drill)