RE: (erielack) questions about Erie steam locomotives

I meant to respond to this.

One of the easier ways to tell an S3 is by the tender.  Only the S3 tender has a double line of
rivets down the middle of the side, and they kept them throughout their lives.

As built, S1s had straight sided collars on the tenders, S2s as well.  S4s were the first (and only)
>>delivered<< with the rounded collar around the coal space.  Those silly looking Baldwin 0-8-0
builder photos with the enormous tenders are showing a set of replacemnt tenders for the S1s and
S2s.  So, a curved collar CAN mean a S1, 2, or 4, so you have to double check an ID by looking at
the trailing truck, or, if all else fails, the number on the cab . . .8^)

By "assembled trailing truck, Mike, you are referring to the "Articulated Rear End."  This was a
patented (by Lima, I think) arrangement where the drawbar was actually attached to the trailing
truck, not to the frame.  S1's had a "normal" attachment of drawbar to frame.  The alleged advantage
of the "ARE" was twofold:  The line of forces from the drivers back to the tender drawbar was
straighter, therefore less lost to flexing of the frame, and so on, and also it held the trailing
truck down hard on the rails.  The trailing truck, remember, had a booster engine in it, so more
force down on the rails meant more TF delivered to the rear of the tender.  It also caused just as
much problem backing up as it does with the Oriental S3 model - it makes the trailing truck derail.

SGL

End of EL List Daily V3 #1728