Re: (erielack) Slgihtly off-topic...

Sorry SGL but I don't see where Union Pacific is attempting to trademark the
American flag. As you say, with their legions of attorneys, they're not
stupid.

I also don't get this whole bruhaha that you've presented. If there was a
question about modeling companies, trademarks, etc., et al, the logos of UP for
example belong to them because they acquired those railway companies, lock,
stock and the barrels along the lines. The modeling companies should have seen
this coming and been prepared for it.

I am not a lawyer but your words appear to be more emotional than factual.
Mind you, no criticism here, as when it comes to the railroads we are all
emotional in one way or another.

I see nothing wrong with retro paint and I'd like to see more of it, incuding
NS, CSX and CPRail doing their thing on the eastern end of the continent, not
to mention CN doing the same in WI, QC, ON, SK and AT.

Perhaps you and others know more than I do, but remember, UP, CSX, NS, BNSF,
CPRail aren't just railroads. They are corporations and they are in the
business of making money in whatever way they can and they do.

If UP is using retro paint for the reasons that you and others presented,
again, they do it for their reasons and their reasons are corporate reasons. If
we look closely, the retro paint is nothing more than a 21st Century image of
what once was.

MoPac blue is not the same hue, although the eagle logo is damn close. WP
black and orange is real close if not nearly perfect but more defined than the
independent WP paint ever was. WP paint was much more dusty. Let's see what UP
does with CNW, MKT, SP and DRGW. Funny but I always thought that CNW would
survive on its own. That's another story that will be kicked around.

I'd give anything to see 21st Century motive power in Erie retro paint, along
with Erie's natural western partner, Santa Fe. Retro paint on those two roads
would be nothing less than awesome.

Taking what UP is doing in 2005, can anyone imagine Erie and Santa Fe in 21st
Century motive power and retro colors meeting at their natural midway point,
Chicago? Nothing less than awesome.

Yes, SGL, I also have an emotional side.

All the best,

Rick