RE: (erielack) Foreign/Pool Power on EL new thread (Detours)

Someone once told me that he saw the Erie Limited detouring through Paoli,
PA on the PRR at that time.

Art Tross

At 08:14 PM 7/28/05 -0400, Montgomery, Edward T wrote:
>With all this discussion of foreign power it brings to mind the coming
50th anniversary of Hurricane Diane tearing up the Lackawanna in August of
1955.  A couple of thoughts about that:  When Lackawanna got back in
operation it detoured over the LV to get to Scranton.  I've often wondered
why because there was the "Interstate Express" run-through between the DL&W
and the CNJ.  Why didn't Lackawanna just detour everything over CNJ?

>The Erie didn't receive as much damage from the storm but there was a
washout around Lackawaxen and everything was underwater at Port Jervis.  I
believe Erie detoured over the D&H and NYO&W during that period of
flooding.  I've never seen any pictures of this but it must have been
interesting seeing the through-line passenger trains passing through
Fallsburg, Liberty, Roscoe, Cadosia and other towns.