Re: (erielack) Foreign/Pool Power on EL new thread (Detours)

In a message dated 7/28/2005 8:17:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu writes:

With all  this discussion of foreign power it brings to mind the coming 50th
anniversary  of Hurricane Diane tearing up the Lackawanna in August of 1955.
A couple  of thoughts about that:  When Lackawanna got back in operation it
detoured over the LV to get to Scranton.  I've often wondered why because
there was the "Interstate Express" run-through between the DL&W and the  CNJ.  Why
didn't Lackawanna just detour everything over CNJ?

The  Erie didn't receive as much damage from the storm but there was a
washout  around Lackawaxen and everything was underwater at Port Jervis.  I  believe
Erie detoured over the D&H and NYO&W during that period of  flooding.  I've
never seen any pictures of this but it must have been  interesting seeing the
through-line passenger trains passing through  Fallsburg, Liberty, Roscoe,
Cadosia and other towns.

Does anybody have  further comments on this?

Ed Montgomery

Ed
To make a lengthy story short,  Capacity played a big part. With  out going
an reviewing paper work I have I know that both the LV and  CNJ had all they
could handle,  and were turning away trains.
Bob