From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org [mailto:erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org]
On Behalf Of Montgomery, Edward T
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:15 PM
To: Joel Long; erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: RE: (erielack) Foreign/Pool Power on EL new thread (Detours)

With all this discussion of foreign power it brings to mind the coming 50th
anniversary of Hurricane Diane tearing up the Lackawanna in August of 1955.
A couple of thoughts about that:  When Lackawanna got back in operation it
detoured over the LV to get to Scranton.  I've often wondered why because
there was the "Interstate Express" run-through between the DL&W and the CNJ.
Why didn't Lackawanna just detour everything over CNJ?

The Erie didn't receive as much damage from the storm but there was a
washout around Lackawaxen and everything was underwater at Port Jervis.  I
believe Erie detoured over the D&H and NYO&W during that period of flooding.
I've never seen any pictures of this but it must have been interesting
seeing the through-line passenger trains passing through Fallsburg, Liberty,
Roscoe, Cadosia and other towns.

Does anybody have further comments on this?

Ed Montgomery