Re: (erielack) Manhattan

> Something else you can do: take the Circle Line tour (I think the pier is
> at
> W 42nd) around the island, bring some old maps (including the back cover
> of
> The Diamond V19#1) and do some "industrial archeology". You can check out
> the locations of the old piers and float bridges, some of which still
> exist

Here's a better plan:

The North River Historic Ship Society
Working Harbor Committee

Sunset Hidden Harbor Tours ®  On Circle Line boats

Wednesdays, 27 July &  3 August -  6 to 8 PM

2 hour narrated tours of the working waterfronts of Manhattan, Brooklyn and
New Jersey, past present and future * with free copy of the 2005 HarborGuide
and experienced NY Harbor narrator.

Tour includes

West side of Manhattan * Hudson River Park * The Battery * South Street
Seaport * Container port at Atlantic Basin, Brooklyn * New Passenger Ship
Terminal at Red Hook * Governors Island * Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island *
New Jersey's new waterfront

Tours leave from Circle Line's Pier 83 (at the west end of 42nd Street)
[A/C/E - 42nd St station + walk or M 42 bus]
Prices: Adult: $20 - Senior, Child, WHC member: $15

Thanks to the generosity of Circle Line and ticket buyers, proceeds will be
used to sponsor free Hidden Harbor Tours for non-profit youth organizations.

If there's a group of E-Lers or other railroaders interested in getting
together for one of these, let me know.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie