(erielack) Perishable Traffic

>Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:43:46 -0400
>From: "Paul Brezicki" <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net>
>Subject: (erielack) Perishable Traffic

>Jim G and I have been discussing this. Prior to the opening of Hunt's Point
>terminal in The Bronx in 1968, perishable markets were dispersed throughout
>NY harbor. Early EL schedules refer to the New York Pier Auction. Does
>anyone know exactly where this took place? Perhaps multiple locations?

>Paul Brezicki

Paul and all interested,

Here's a story about a Santa Fe reefer's journey from California to
Manhattan; goes east from Chicago on Erie NY-98, then gets floated to the
Erie's pier 20 on the Hudson near the DL&W Barclay St. Ferry Terminal (which
I believe was considered pier 18).  The oranges inside then get auctioned to
A&P.  Very interesting:

http://www.sdrm.org/stories/reefer/

This next site gives pictures of what little remains today, some good info
on where the RR piers were located along the lower Hudson:

http://www.oldnyc.com/hudson_piers/battery_chelsea/battery_chelsea_1.html

The final site is an except from an old history book about New York, around
1930.  Talks about how the RR's haul most food products to the metro area,
Erie having most of the western fruit traffic.  Mentions the poultry
unloading terminal on the Lackawanna in Hoboken.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ny/state/his/bk2/ch5/pt4.html

So, looks like downtown Manhattan was once the heart of the produce market.
I think that the Hunts Point produce terminal in the Bronx opened around
1967.

Jim Gerofsky