RE: (erielack) The Ray Scott Collection: XW Tower Paterson

Ed,

XW Tower does look a bit like SN Tower in Levittsburg, maybe others out
west. I believe that XW was closed in early to mid-1962.  It had to be
demolished to make way for the elevated Newark Branch connection over to the
Boonton Line at Paterson Jct.; the fill for that connection covers the old
tower site.  Recall that for about a year, while the elevated connection was
under construction, Newark Branch trains originated or terminated at South
Paterson, then backed through the old interchange track at Paterson Jct. to
deadhead from or back to Hoboken via the Boonton Line.

Jim Gerofsky

>From: "Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu>
>To: "JG at graytrainpix"
><graytrainpix_@_hotmail.com>,<erielack@lists.railfan.net>
>Subject: RE: (erielack) The Ray Scott Collection: XW Tower Paterson
>Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:48:36 -0400
>
>Jim,
>
>Thanks for the picture of XW.  Few people seemed to have ever taken
>pictures of that structure.  it is rather odd looking compared to others.
>XW reminds me of towers I saw on the Erie in Ohio.  Was XW closed at the
>time the mainline was cut over to the Boonton Line in April of 1963?
>
>Ed Montgomery

End of EL List Daily V3 #1708