Re: (erielack) (Caldwell Branch) (3)

- --- Rich Behrendt <rbehrendt_@_columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> That's correct...the siding started east of where the retail stores are
> now (were?) located and ended just west of where the parking lot today
> is (I haven't been there in 15 years, but am assuming the Baskin-
> Robbin's is there at the west end of the retail block there on
> Bloomfield Ave. facing the parking lot to the west).

We did an explorer hike on May 15...  That's about the way it is except
the ice cream shop is no longer Baskin-Robbins.  We did find, with the aid
of Mark Schmidt, a number of rails and other features still in place at
the extremes of the parking lot.  One milepost was restored alongside
Bloomfield Ave as well, 21 IIRC.

> Roseland Avenue crossing was located about 15 cars west of the west end
> of the siding at Caldwell, and is indicated on Sheppard's Track
Schematic
> as being at MP 21.66, with Essex Fells being at MP 22.28...

We visited Essex Fells and the owner of the former station came out to
chat with us; very nice fellow.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey