Re:RE: (erielack) Power Station Question

Much Appalachian coal is designated "Tidewater" or "Lake" coal, with the implied destinations obvious.  Not export, necessarily, but water-bound.

On the other hand, who says it's domestic coal?

Finally, the whole concept of dedicated unit trains for coal is, to this 73-year-old, rather a recent development.
Randy Brown
The reason I brought this up is that I never saw any long unit trains of coal either on the old Lackawanna Boonton Line or when it was cut over to the Greenwood Lake at Mountain View.  For that matter I don't recall seeing any hoppers around the power station.  Maybe it did come in on a barge but that would be a long trip to ship coal via a water route.

Ed