RE: (erielack) Power Station Question

Ed Montgomery wrote:

> The reason I brought this up is that I never saw any long
> unit trains of
> coal either on the old Lackawanna Boonton Line or when it was cut over
> to the Greenwood Lake at Mountain View.  For that matter I
> don't recall
> seeing any hoppers around the power station.  Maybe it did
> come in on a
> barge but that would be a long trip to ship coal via a water route.

If the coal came from Baltimore, that isn't too bad.

When I was attending Stevens in the early 1990s, I would sometimes commute to home in Boonton via the Boonton Line. I'd always be staring out the window to look for "cool" railroad related stuff, and that power plant fascinated me. I remember seeing an OLD 40' tank car inside the plant, unlettered, but most of the time, the only stuff I saw on this siding was some NJT track equipment parked just off the Boonton Line. Not sure where that tank car went, but I would assume to scrap.