(erielack) Rich Man's hobby

Everybody else is ranting about this that and the other thing so why not
join in:

I see there is no Athearn RS-3 in EL/ERIE/DL&W.  I wonder if one is in the
works (Req. EL content)?

I generally don't mind changes but the direction Athearn has gone, indeed
the whole hobby, has me fed up.  I find these new Athearn models
discouraging.  Yes, the detail is better and the newer models are more
accurate, but it doesn't seem worth the money.  Are people buying this stuff
or are sales down?  The old Athearn was about all I could afford.  The
quality was good enough and if I wanted to make it better I could choose to
do that.  My pocketbook can't justify a $100 RS-3 or a $140 SD45-2 and I
don't make that bad a living.  For aesthetic purposes I can see buying a
single RS-3 for my layout but what good is a single SD45-2?  You have to
have at least a paired set and the higher prices put that further outside my
reach.  And, having become used to $5-$7 cars I can't buy a $15 - $20
Ready-To-Roll car that is all prettied up.  If I did buy one it would mean
less to me because I had no hand in building it.

I miss the old Athearn.  They made the hobby affordable for me.  It seems
the creativity of the hobby is disappearing and being replaced by the
McDonald's "gotta have it now" generation.  I have a new-found interest in
military modeling, partly in response to the skyrocketing prices of model
railroading.  Trains will always be my first love, but for sheer economic
reasons I foresee my model railroading activities diminishing with a
corresponding increase in historical research (i.e. armchair) and the
aforementioned static plastic models.  I was just starting to get out of the
armchair after years of struggling to establish a career.  It is very
disappointing to have to face this realization now that I have time to
resume modeling.

OK I'm done whining.

- - Dave Green, ELHS #1366