Re: (erielack) Steamtown 10th Anniversary

Chuck,

You brought it to the forefornt and we all see what can be. I'm not sure if
anyone is aware of the Scranton "Master Plan" that hinges on the return of
passenger rail service to the largest city in the Pocono region.

Bottom line is this. When service returns, the plan is to construct a
terminal across the street from the present bus station. The terminal will combine
rail service, intercity bus service, commuter bus service, local buses and taxis
in one location.

In addition, those who wish to ski will be able to take the train from NY/NJ
(including Penn Station Manhattan) to Scranton, cross the platform and take an
Electric City trolley to Montage Mountain. Others who want to ski elsewhere
in the Poconos will be able to take the train to Stroudsburg or Mt. Pocono and
go to their destinations.

Will this become reality? Yes it will but on one condition. That condition is
funding and thus far, the elected people have not put the political force
behind what can become a major shot in the arm for those whom they represent. In
addition, such service will only bring more people to Steamtown.

Let's also not forget the one thing that Amercians love. It's called
convenience. Riding the rails to the Poconos will be much more convenient than sitting
in I80 traffic as I did this weekend. There was literally a 20-mile back up
from the Delaware Water Gap on the NJ side (and I used to laugh at my friends
taking the LIE to eastern Long Island on July 4).

Fortunately, the commuter bus driver knew enough to exit the freeway via the
Portland, PA exit, thus we missed the backup and were only five minutes late
arriving in Scranton. People will opt for convenience.

The possibilities exist. Steamtown will certainly benefit when people are
able to conveniently go there for skiing, summer fun and find that a unique piece
of the National Park Service is there for them to experience.

The elected ones must be reminded that we put them in Harrisburg, Trenton,
Albany and Washington.

Rick

End of EL List Daily V3 #1703