Re: (erielack) Interesting DL&W "Telegrams"

This was the standard method for an agent at an outlying station to
reserve sleeper space.  Some railroads, probably the DL&W and from my
own experience certainly the New York Central, would pre-apportion
certain accommodations to larger agencies, but most of the individual
accommodations were held by a central agency.

In this case, apparently, C. W. Radcliffe asked the V Arnts, Bangor
agent, for a reservation, and the agent wired New York Ticket Agent W.
F. Griffith to get the space.  Griffith wired back a confirmation to
Arnts, who then sold the ticket for Lower 4 Car 20 Train 9..  The
railroads usually issued the reservation schemes to all the ticket
agents so they had a standard office to get their space.  Buffalo
probably held most of the space on eastbound sleepers.

It is possible that the agents at Newark, Dover and Scranton might have
a few spaces pre-apportioned to them so they did not have to wire New
York, but that is conjecture.  If so, and New York was sold out for that
day on No. 9, then Bangor could try wiring one of them to see if they
had one available

I used that trick on the NYC.  Usually Boston held most of the space on
28, the New England States, and several times they told me they were
sold out.  Then a call to Schenectady usually produced results.  They
didn't search for space for employees traveling on a pass, so we had to
use our own devices.

Gordon