Re: (erielack) WC Tower What are these?

Curt -

Some ID?s on the photos at WC Tower:

The cabinet in Photos 2 - 4 was a telephone/telegraph terminal with a patch board on the front.  It was set up so the Operator, under direction of the Wire Chief, could insert plugs and jumpers and juggle telephone and telegraph circuits on different wire pairs on the pole line.  For instance, if the Dispatcher?s wire developed a short or an open between WC and SF, the operators at both offices could insert jumpers and re-route it over a different pair.

It appears that two telephone instruments were mounted on the cabinet door, with an annunciator above each one.  When the dispatcher, wire chief or message wire monitor wanted to call an office, he put a series of codes on the line corresponding to the office to be called.  When the code pulses matched the setting in the office annunciator, it sounded a bell or buzzer.

If WC wanted to call MQ on the message phone, he would raise the monitor in Hoboken (HO Office) with ?HO, WC.?  HO answers ?HO,? then WC says ?Ring MQ.?  The monitor sends the pulse code for MQ, and the MQ annunciator sounds off.  MQ answers, and then WC and MQ can hold a party line conversation.  Believe it or not, that message monitor job was full time in 1970.

The rods in Photo 9 are locking rods for a power switch machine.  Those rods move with the switch points.  When the switch is in either the normal or reversed position, the switch machine inserts a plunger through one notch or the other to positively hold the points in position.  The threaded end is used to adjust one rod alongside the other so that the notches made by the two adjoining rods are the correct size and in the correct locking positions.

Gordon Davids