Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

I enjoyed and appreciated Walter Smith's observations about speed
restrictions.

A little perspective from an operating officer:

I agree strongly that something is wrong when the crews are overloaded with
more bulletins than they can possibly keep in memory.  Then there are the
ever-multiplying rules and instructions, some driven by regulation responding to
the accident du jour.  When I raise this with some traditional rules guys at
other companies, I often get an answer that says, in effect, don't underestimate
the intelligence of our employees.  And that answer does not compute, because
it isn't an issue of intelligence.

I take particular exception to expecting employees to untangle rules and
instructions so complex and contingent that a J.D. degree is required.  Which of
course is the way we are headed if the lawyers have their way.

Something else is wrong when crews are asked to pass a string of standing
freight cars obstructing a view of a grade crossing.  When the railroad was
smaller, people paid more attention to the relationship between engineering design
and operating efficiency.  In highway engineering this is well understood and
the statistics prove it--the single greatest (if unsung) factor in saving
lives is better design of the infrastructure.

If the bulletins, special instructions, and rules changes have been allowed
to multiply without limit, and the engineering decisions fail to take into
account operating and safety requirements, then something is very wrong.

WDB