Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

Ken,

I'm not denying that knowledge of the line is crucial.  What I'm saying is
that the trend is towards greater flexibility in utilizing manpower which,
in turn, can place engineers in relatively unfamiliar territory from time
to time.  That's where problems can occur.  I just think of how pilots may
be called to take off or land at unfamilar airports at night or in bad
weather.  The technology exists to support them so that they do not need to
rely totally on their memories.  In railroading, however, the emphasis has
understandably been on experience.  I'm afraid this is going to change, and
already IS changing, when it comes to territories.  Unfortunately, the
technology is not quite keeping pace, but it will have to in terms of
supporting railroaders in doing their jobs...and doing their jobs safely.
I agree that safety signs are archaic to some extent, but the information
they convey is important.  Otherwise they never would have been used in the
first place.

Chuck

                      Erie910
                      <erie910_@_fastmail.f
                      m>                  To:     Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com
                      Sent by:            cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

                      04/26/2005 09:10 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Erie910

Steve Kay's right.  There is nothing better than an engineer who knows
the line.  How many speed restriction, whistle post, milepost, not to
mention highway, signs now decorate someone's bedroom or garage?  Signs,
especially in suburban or rural areas, grow feet and walk away.
Although it's hard to remember every speed restriction on a long run, as
Walt Smith points out, the results of not knowing can be disastrous.  We
depend upon whistle posts, but when someone has stolen the whistle post
sign, the only protection is a set of crossbucks (and maybe a STOP
sign), and we don't blow sufficiently far in advance, we have trouble.

Ken Bush