Re: (erielack) Speaking of radios & Speed Signs on the..... SOUTHERN

Chuck:

There are pro's and con's on the sign issue:

Signs are good, however, when working for Conrail I noted virtually  hundreds
of cases of crews getting into trouble because the signs were missing,
erected at the wrong location (Stop Signs and Temporary Speed Limit Signs), and
they are prone to vandalism.  Vandals yank out the signs as collectors  items or
throw them on the track.  Once hit by train, they can part an air  hose
and/or operate a cutting lever and uncouple the train.  Most engineers  will agree
that signs are nice, but they must be properly maintained.  That  means that
they must be clean, have the reflective material if required and be  properly
placed.  Properly placed means that they must be placed in  accordance with the
instructions for placement (in the case of Conrail, the MW-4  book), not at
the nearest crossing where the foreman can place them.

I can recall instances of crews passing a temporary STOP sign without
permission because the work limits were spread out over 20 plus miles with  multiple
stop signs placed in the working limits. Signs were erected under  a bridge,
in a shadow, and the crew could not see it.  The sign was dirty  from mud
pumping in the ROW during the track work or it 'fell over' due to being  placed
temporarily just for one day.  Also, signs get hit with the track  machinery
that the signs protect, knocking them down.  I remember many  horror stories of
backhoes being hit due to this problem.

Train and Engine service personnel are professionals and know their
territory like the back of their hands.  Walt's examples are certainly  valid with a
crew from WAS working two directions.  Lots of territory to  remember.

The most important items to have proper control over speed  restrictions as
well as working limits:  properly rested, alert, qualified  crews, and properly
issued Bulletin Orders with the restrictions listed in  proper sequence for
the crews.  In my forty year career---over half in  management, I can see the
progress made on the above.  Yes, there are  always exceptions to the rule, and
there are horror stories about improper  Bulletin Orders, unqualified crew
members, crews that are not  properly rested, etc.

Relating operating trains to driving on the Interstate highways is like
comparing apples and oranges.  You don't have to be 'qualified' on the  route to
drive from Chicago to Atlanta, just have to have a valid  license.  Crews
members must make student or qualifying trips (several)and  then be qualified by a
company official, such as a Road Foreman or  Trainmaster.  Then, they must
make the trip once a year or once every  six-months to remain qualified, whatever
the rules require on that  road/territory.

SMT