Re: (erielack) Foreign road express cars

1.  Automobile box cars had end doors...Still wouldn't have been used
for this though... They were the equivilant of today's bi & tri levels....

2.  I'd never heard of private autos travelling in  express cars.. Makes
sense though.  Any idea if the auto tended to travel with the owner, OR
as the owner went south for the winter did he arrange to get the auto
moved and it left earlier so it could meet him there?

3.  Did carriages get moved also?  Any chance that back in the 1870-1880
period that cars hauling carriages to the various Bedford area resorts
for the season would have travelled over the H&BTM or Bedford Division?

Frank

Janet & Randy Brown wrote:

>A little clarification is needed here.  The question was about the loading of an automobile into a boxcar included in a passenger consist.  The answer would be "no" for several reasons.
>
>Box cars were/are not equipped for passenger service, lacking high speed trucks, high speed brakes, and piping for steam and communication lines; and their doors were not wide enough for an auto.
>
>As noted, there were passenger type baggage cars with end doors suitable for vehicle loading.  Some were dedicated to horse transportation; others to theatrical scenery.
>
>Randy Brown
>Ive Seen  BE  cars (Baggage Express) with "Automotive"  writen on them  so YES it WAS done!!
>
>Andrisd_@_aol.com wrote:
>

>>Thanks for all the information concerning express/mail/REA cars.
>>Along these lines, would there ever been an instance when a wealthy passenger
>>had thier private auto loaded into a boxcar and included with the PAX
>>consist? Sort of an early AutoTrain.
>>

>>Thanks in Advance.  Andy Cole
>>

>	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
>	Sponsored by the ELH&TS
>	http://www.elhts.org

- --
"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic;
 but destroy our farms and grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country." - William Jennings Bryan

"If we go across the border, there will always be one more sanctuary just beyond the one we clean out"-John Paul Vann

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"-Benjamin Franklin