Re: (erielack) EL "freelanced" layouts...

Paul/List:

My feelings are shading towards a hybrid of the two.  Wherein, the EL
didn't get into Conrail and maintained itself independently over the
ensuing years.

The problem I've encountered, since moving down here to the Mason-Dixon
Line area, is how to selectively compress the distance from what I'm
familiar with [NYC, Pearl River, and Binghamton] yet still maintain a
decent realistic presentation by including Brandywine Valley RR items
and the CSX mainline that I come across every day.

Given that scenario, my Goodness, the EL certainly did well as a
business over the past 30 years to now include this much larger
geographic area!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:12:51 -0400, "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
<paultup_@_lucent.com> said:
> Good afternoon all,
>
> Over lunch here I was talking with a friend of mine about layout
> planning, and how in recent years, there has been a definite shift
> towards prototype modeling (vs. freelanced railroad modeling - such as
> famed roads as the Virginian & Ohio, Alleghany Midland, Ohio Southern,
> etc.). Excellent examples of prototype modeling are Harold Werthwein's HO
> scale Erie Delaware Division and Jeff Mutter's HO scale EL Scranton
> Division.
>
> However, I've also noticed the "freelanced prototype" concept is also
> picking up steam (sorry for the horrible pun!). I've been seeing more
> articles on layouts that represent a fictional division of a prototype
> layout (think of the "Indianapolis Division of the Erie Lackawanna"),
> where the owner "stretches" or "repurposes" the railroad's history to
> allow it to be located in a different location than it was prototypically
> located.
>
> I have seen at least one "freelanced" EL layout in magazines - does
> anyone on this list have an EL freelanced layout they'd care to share
> with us?
>
> 	- Paul
>

> 	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
> 	Sponsored by the ELH&TS