Re: (erielack) DL&W Freight Cars

The DL&W 10000 series box express cars were classified as AAR
designation BX. They feel under the rules governing passenger equipment
and were to be confined to passenger service only. Different rules
applied to general interchange freight equipment. In fact, the AAR rules
considered it misuse if the cars were diverted to freight service except
under very specific conditions and then only with the owners knowledge.

Other cars subject to the same passenger car regulations were in
addition to BX (Box Express); BE (Baggage Express), BEM (Baggage Express
Messenger) and BH (Horse Express). These cars would subject to the
requirements for reporting marks, etc., applicable to the passenger
equipment standards. The rules for lettering were not ignored, they were
different for passenger cars.

Regards,

Will Shultz

donald kern wrote: