RE: (erielack) DL&W Freight Cars

Don Kern wrote:

>Also  All of the Lackawanna's 40' Express Box Cars  had  DL&W and # only  No Dim data or full roadname  not even the usual "Express" as on other RRs

This is something I always wondered about - was this done to keep the "viewing public" from being distracted by a large billboard "Phoebe Snow" boxcar in the consist of the sleek GMY Phoebe Snow trainset? A solid maroon car wouldn't be as distracting?

For that matter, did the DL&W ever paint up any boxcars in GMY (like the EL did in its early years) for express service? I know many, many years ago Central Hobby Supply (Syracuse-area shop) did a custom run of HO scale C&BT 40' boxcars in GMY in both EL and DL&W. We know the EL had 'em, but I've never seen a photo of a DL&W car; did they exist?

FYI, I thought the CHS car was horrible. The maroon was magenta, the yellow was more yellow-green, and the lettering was awful. Then again, that was "top notch" almost 20 years ago when they were released. CHS' newer stuff is well-done.