Re: (erielack) New NJT Photo permit procedure

A friend of mine is an avid scanner and knows the laws fairly well.  He
has one of the better scanning pages around on the internet.  Below is
what he had to say about the whole scanning of police radios issue.

Scott

NJ law does not explicitly or implicitly prohibit scanning any
particular radio system.  Federal law prohibits listening to telephone
conversations (cell phones and cordless phones, I don't know
applicability to telephone patches on public safety/commercial/amateur
systems) and prohibits decrypting encrypted/scrambled communications.  I
believe federal law also prohibits sharing info you hear on the scanner
with others (there must be exemptions for the press and for broadcast
(FM, AM, TV, weather channel, etc.)).

NJ law does prohibit possession of a scanner during commission of or
flight from a crime, and prohibits using a scanner to interfere in the
activities of public safety personnel.

For more info state-by-state, check out:
http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/rules.shtml
<http://www.panix.com/%7Eclay/scanning/rules.shtml> and
http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/Frequencies/handy-info/scan-law.txt
<http://www.panix.com/%7Eclay/scanning/Frequencies/handy-info/scan-law.txt>