Re: (erielack) Re: [Newjerseytransit] Fwd: New NJT Photo permit procedure

Regarding photo permits...yes, it seems a bit of a bother and the argument
can (and perhaps should) be made that there is no reason why we should be
required to obtain them. That said, the MBTA in Boston and (as I understand) the
MTA in New York have both required permits for years. Now it has been nearly
twenty years since I was last in Boston, and a photo permit was obtained (by
mail) several weeks in advance of my visit. During my visit to Boston, I was
taking pics all over the Jamaica El (that dates my visit) and although
numerous  MBTA employees saw me, NOT ONCE was I challenged and/or asked for my photo
permit.

In spite of the legalities of requiring these permits, perhaps we should at
least meet these agencies halfway (while still legally challenging the
legality  of the permits) and obtain the permits. It is still my belief that
requiring the  permits is not legal.

Recently, which photographing on Metra in Chicago, a signal maintainer told
me "You can't take pictures here -- they (assuming he meant the management)
don't want you (assuming he meant anyone, not just me personally) taking
pictures." To that I politely informed him that I was on the public way (the
street) and understand that I may take all the pictures I desired from that
vantage point." Although he threatened to "call the police" (to which I  responded
"do what you have to do"), we took our pics and moved on -- not once  seeing
the fuzz. (I do have a letter permitting me (as am employee) to take  pictures
on Metra property -- but that is a precautionary move on my part -- I  was not
on the property and will NOT give in.)  By the way, OFFICIALLY,  Metra has no
restrictions on photography, so long as you are NOT in the way of  train
operations or conducting yourself in an unsafe manner (suppose that means  you
cannot climb up a signal bridge for that "great" photo).

Again, let's at least co-operate with these agencies and get permits (no
sense making these people mad at us) -- but in the meantime, let the legal
challenges continue.

Bill Shapotkin