Re: (erielack) Re: [Newjerseytransit] Fwd: New NJT Photo permit procedure

To some extent, I'll admit NJT's policy would make sense at rail stations
that are REAL targets: NY's Penn Station, for example...but police at Dover
harassing you...that makes about as much sense as sending out Stealth
bombers for a potential terrorist strike on a cornfield in the middle of
Nebraska.

                      "Gary R. Kazin"
                      <gkazin_@_yahoo.com>
                      Sent by:            To:     EL List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  Re: (erielack) Re: [Newjerseytransit] Fwd: New NJT Photo permit procedure

                      04/19/2005 09:31 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Gary R. Kazin"

- --- Charles_Walsh_@_berlex.com wrote:
> My ire is not directed at you...

Thanks for not shooting the messenger...

> but I'll ask a stupid question (on the subject of a stupid policy)...but
> if a bunch of us fanned out over the system on a given day, what are the
> chances that NJ Transit would be able to catch any of us?

It depends.

I get permits when I plan to take photos.  In most cases, I haven't seen
any police at all.

On one occasion, I was meeting two friends at Newark to ride the northern
extension of the HBLRT.  Since I was to meet one at Newark Penn, I went to
the NJT offices to get a permit.  It ultimately was faxed to the customer
service desk at Hoboken just before we went to the HBLRT.  We were
challenged by a rent-a-guard at the top of the elevator at the 9th St
station and by an LRV operator at Lincoln Harbor, but I showed the permit
and there were no problems.

On another occasion, I was logging trains at Dover - no camera.  Dover
cops who had been harassing motorists in the parking lot came to me as I
was leaving and said they'd been called about a 'suspicious person', then
ran my ID.  They also called NJT cops, who took 45 minutes to arrive and
two minutes to accept what Dover had done.  Big nuisance.

> Railfans are a placid bunch, and we've really taken this lying down...
> this policy is an outrage...it's also blatantly unconstitutional.  This
> won't stop me from taking pictures...and I have no intention of getting
> a permit.

I doubt Walter Zullig's ACLU action is finished.  This issue caused me to
join the local ACLU chapter!

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey