Dear Bob,

Great story.

Chuck

                      Robert Stafford
                      <erielack1_@_yahoo.co
                      m>                  To:     List ErieLackawannna <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 (erielack) Deadheading Stories

                      04/18/2005 11:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Robert Stafford

On EL, and most other roads years ago, it was
> considered a "disgrace" to "tie up" on the main
line. Today, it is
common practice.
> However, it did happen due to unusual circamstances.
Crews could be
brought
> out by taxi, and the "hoglawed" crew brought in that
way. Another way
would be
> an oposing train would have a "deadhead" dog catch
crew, and the crew
would
> be relieved before they ran out of time. Any
interesting stories in
this
> regard? Of course.
>
> JJBoehner

One of the strangest dead head moves was getting a
crew from Bangor to Portland. We orginally used the
taxi comapny in Bangor. The owner/driver had become so
old and half blind that the guys would not ride with
him anymore. When we had to get a crew to Portland to
pick up a unit train of coal or grain Ray Strunk the
Bath carman and myself loaded up the guys in our two
VW bugs and drive them to Portland. Thinking back now
how these guys fit in the back seat of the VW bug is
mind blowing. It still was better then riding the
Bangor Taxi cab.
This normally was a one way deadhead out. The engines
and caboose from any extra move would go back to
Portland on a Portland Hole Job.
Bob Stafford