Re: FW: (erielack) Morristown Bumping Block

Don Kern, et all
Lafayette Ave. crosses west of the station.  Lackawanna Place abuts Morris
St. east of the station.  The station is on a man-made fill, and the
bridges on either side are probably part of that 1912? elevation project.
I think I read that the Morristown and Erie and/or the traction company
wanted to use the crossing west of the station; but grade wasn't low enough
for the interurban cars.  The Lackawanna was forced to lower it for them,
and gave the crossing to the city, as a street.  It seems to me that the
street grade would have precluded a track to the bumping block.  Hence my
guess that the freight tracks were used prior to the elevation.
For the record, I work in Morristown station.
Philip