Re: Subject: (erielack) ELHS Eastern Region Spring Meeting Report

In a message dated 4/12/2005 7:32:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bnchmark_@_earthlink.net writes:

> One of the highlights for me was, during Walt Appels' films, the footage
> he had of the SJ Groves U-boats at work in constructing I-280 through
> the Oranges. I did't get a chance to ask - did they get there via the
> ex-DLW line that runs adjacent to the highway?

No, the only connection to Grove's operation was just east of M.P. 9.0 on the
Morristown & Erie Railroad where the highway passes over the track.
Everything came in and was shipped back out via Essex Fells as the U33C's were too
heavy for the Passaic River trestle. I have quite a few slides of the operations
including the movement of everything outbound when th eproject was completed.

Al Holleuffer