Re: (erielack) Morristown Bumping Block

Pat said...

I had gone for a walk one afternoon when I was dropping someone off at
the station and went through the lawn there..A week or so later I was
back there again and I spotted it sitting there and did a double take..

All the times I rode through there, I never saw it.  I spent an
afternoon there photographing the whole area and never saw it.  A few
years later, Pat mentioned to me that it was there.  I took a look from
one of my trains and saw it.  I would not have missed it if it was there
a few years earlier.  Here is a link to a satellite photo of the area.
I don't see the block in the photo.  This is a fairly recent photo, I
would say within the past few years.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=morristown+nj&ll=40.797547,-74.474065&spn=0.005343,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

This photo show the Morris Plains train station.  A bit north of the
station is the freight station.  The bumping block can be seen in the
photo as a clear white dot.  I included this just for reference.  That
dot doesn't appear in the Morristown photo.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=morristown+nj&ll=40.829530,-74.478121&spn=0.005343,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

This satellite photo shows Convent Station where the block was supposed
to be moved from.  The block would be in the shadows of the freight
house.  It doesn't show because it is in the shadow.  So, you really
can't tell if it is there or not.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=morristown+nj&ll=40.779555,-74.444067&spn=0.005343,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

For my money, I have to say it was moved to Morristown.  I know I didn't
see it there and Pat corroborates that with his story.  Why anybody
would go to such trouble to move a chunk of concrete is a good
question.  Maybe Hoffa is in there.

Scott Lupia