RE: (erielack) Black car data boxes, covered hoppers

>     On most modern freight cars I see painted on the side, a
> black box
> outlined in white with car data in it.  It would appear that
> they have three
> sections now and had two in later EL years.  Would anybody
> know the exact
> dates that they started showing up on cars?  Would they be
> prototype to
> appear on an early EL layout 60 - 69?

These are "lube plates" - they contain information on when the car was last lubricated/maintained/repacked. I think it became a Federal law to have these on freight cars as they were shopped around 1974/1975. EL cars repainted post-1974 appeared to receive these. The early "single box" eventually was modified to the standard "two-box-side-by-side" plate.

The latter day "two-box-side-by-side-with-a-small-box-below" was a later change (sometime in the 1980s), where the small box below contained the car's built date.

NONE of these boxes would appear prior to the 1970s.

>     Would anybody know what period the usa trains g scale
> covered hoppers
> are prototype for?
>
> http://usatrains.com/usatrains4bayhopper.html

1960's to today.