Re: (erielack) Removal of DL&W bridge in Rockaway Borough

Gary R. Kazin wrote:

>--- Christopher Vitz <cvitz_@_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The NJDOT is finally going to remove the Route 46 bridge over the
>>original alignment of the DL&W in Rockaway Borough.  This is the bridge
>>on the east side of the Borough just east of the intersection of Route
>>46 and Main Street.
>>
>>I would suggest getting any photos now.
>>

>Thanks for the heads up.  I have them already, and once walked through the
>'tunnel'.

This project, of the five listed, the least worthy of doing.  The
highway is 4 lanes and the bridge is in apparently at least fair condition.

# 1 probably should have the highest priority.

>This is one of five railroad bridge projects underway or planned in the
>Dover and Rockaway area, from the west:
>
>1.   - US 46 over DLW and Dover & Rockaway RR at west end of town, near
>Travelers Diner and Ayers Chevrolet.
>
>2.   - Mount Prospect Street over DLW.
>
>3.   - South Salem Street over DLW.
>
>4.   - Rockaway Road, now under construction.  The two main spans over the
>railroad and Rockaway River are still there, with the river span being
>removed now.  The south abutment appears to be done; the north one is
>being built now.  Two photos attached from the north side taken Monday.
>
> 5.  - US 46 over DLW Rockaway Loop, as you describe, now beginning
>construction.  Also in the area, behind D&M Auto Body, is the Morris
>County Traction line's rock cut.  BTW, the D&M building is 'set back' on
>its west end to CLEAR THE RAILROAD!

Really the offset is to clear the property line.  It was probably too
expensive for the owners of the D&M  property to buy the small bit to
square up the property.  Also if  JCPL owns the ROW there, D&M  could
not build under the power line anyway.

bob gillis