RE: (erielack) May Calendar Picture

Ed Montgomery wrote:

> This picture almost looks like EL paid for a publicity shot
> for their own calendar -- if they had one.  The equipment is
> clean and the roadbed looks good -- no weeds or anything
> around.

Only problem is that it's a hazy day and the sun is casting harsh shadows to the right of the motive power. Also, the whole image seems to be underexposed. Otherwise, it is a very nice shot.

> The
> caption stated the EL was "flourishing" in 1970.  I'm not so
> sure that was true.  By the 70s, even before the hurricane
> the blossom was beginning to wilt --true or false?

You hit that one on the head. I don't know if the EL was ever "flourishing." The caption author certainly should do his/her research! By the 1970s, it might have stabilized from the mess of the 1960s, but Grant's book seems to point to the financial decline.

> I had visited Hoboken earlier in May and found the EL
> through-line equipment all white-lined and ready for moves
> off of the company property except for the coaches retained
> for the Cleveland-Youngstown train.  One thing that crossed
> my mind about that was this thought:  By the time 1970 rolled
> around were all of the old Erie rebuilt coaches retired?

The latest shot I have of an EL 1000-series coach is 1968. The EL had already started to sell off these cars, with several going to the D&H in 1967. I believe you're correct in the statement that by 1970, the cars were retired, sold or scrapped.