Re: (erielack) Fw: The Ghost Train

Along the lines of ELDERLY railroad employees and other old things on the
railroad.................

In many of the places I worked on the ERIE side & the DL&W side, there was
still lots of history for those whose minds had not been so totally dulled
by repetitious work that they could not discover little tidbits here &
there. One of these I discovered in the old DL&W roundhouse in Conklin, NY
when I was working the night hostlers job (11-7). In addition to the
privelege of sitting opposite the night foreman (Mr. Clarence Lavelle) at
the second of the 2 desks, there was a huge bulletin board next to the
office where the crews were marked up & jobs advertised. At about 3am one
night I began reading the many notices of long-gone jobs etc. One of the
notice boards was on a clipboard which had a 2-ring device that would hold
papers having 2 holes punched in them. It had about 3 inches of notices on
it & when I finally got to the bottom I found someone had posted a
photograph from the Binghamton SUN showing 2 men riding in a limousine
captioned THE NEW PRESIDENT RIDES TO HIS INAUGURATION WITH HIS PREDECESSOR,
HERBERT HOOVER. Whooaaaa, I really had to look at this & sure enough, the
crumbling paper had a picture ofFDR at his first inaugural. After getting
over the shock, I raised this last paper to discover beneath & glued to the
wood a picture of PRESIDENT-ELECT HOOVER RIDES TO HIS INAUGURATION WITH HIS
PREDECESSOR (This photograph showed the 2 men in a carriage).
That old roundhouse office was loaded with stuff like that & last time I was
in Binghamton (1996) I saw that it was fenced in & semi-abandoned. I
remember thinking if any of that stuff was still inside - sitting as it had
been when I saw those things from over 30 years before I saw them in 1963.
Regards to all,
Walter E. Smith