Re: (erielack) Fw: The Ghost Train

In a message dated 3/31/05 12:21:19 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
rslate_@_frontiernet.net writes:

> Apparently back in the day, Lincoln's
> body
> >was taken through all the big cities.  It went thru Philly to New York,
> and
> >then thru Buffalo to Chicago to eventually get to Illinois where it was
> >buried.

Um, except I don't think that was the route for the Lincoln funeral train.
I don't think it went from "thru Buffalo to Chicago".  The train went to
Indianapolis, then northwest to Lafayette (thru Lafayette Jct to transfer to the
Monon), then up the Monon to Chicago.   (I think the train went up the Monon's
Michigan City line, then from Michigan City on another RR to Chicago).  As a
result, I don't think the train travelled on the Erie from NY City thru
Binghamton and Elmira to Buffalo and thence to Chicago.  Why would the train be
routed over the Erie, then down to Indianapolis, then up the Monon?  Seems too
circuitous.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Incidentally, I was reading some history of the building of the CP-UP
transcontinental line, and there is mention in there that the "Lincoln car" ended up
being used by the UP or CP, can't remember which.

K A Weller, Lafayette IN