(erielack) Re: CWI entering downtown Chicago

These two images recently came into my pocession. They were given to me by
(now) retired Richard Henry, who (like his father before him) was a chief train
dispatcher for the CWI -- a job he continued to hold after Metra assumed
ownership of that railroad betw 21st and 74th Streets.

These two images were taken June 28, 1926. There are in the vicinity of the
now-grade separated Burnside crossing of the IC by the ROCK/CWI/BRC. The IC had
already elevated its row through the area and the ROCK/CWI/BRC trks were
raised to made an at-grade xing of the IC. As part of the IC's electrification,
the Burnside xing is being grade-separated. In the first view, we are looking
east from Prairie St (approx 1/2 mile west of the IC trks). In the second view,
we are looking west across the IC tracks. Visible at the abuilding abutments
which will ultimately carry these three railroads over the IC.

For those not familiar with the area, the Burnside crossing is 94th St just
east of Cottage Grove Ave (l mile east of the Dan Ryan Expressway).

Bill Shapotkin