Re: (erielack) CWI entering downtown chicago

\

>From: ANDOVERJct_@_aol.com
>To: eriewalt_@_hotmail.com, erielack@lists.railfan.net
>Subject: Re: (erielack) CWI entering downtown chicago
>Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:33:00 EST
>
>The C&WI main line into Dearborn crossed the Dan Ryan at about 26th Street
>(about at a location on the Dan Ryan known as "the narrows of 21st
>Street"), and
>the C&WI's Hammond branch (used by EL) crossed the Dan Ryan on an
>impressive
>bridge around 90th Street. Last time I was down that way, I think there was
>still C&WI markings on the bridge, which it share with other carriers.
Ok then IM assuming what it did was cross the ex-IC shared by the south
share railroad, then sorta swung west of the expressway.

>At 26th Street, the Dan Ryan is in an east-west tangent, and the ex-C&WI
>track is still in place, I think, as Metra had been using it to get the
>Orland
>Park trains on to the PRR main (they might be doing this farther south now;
>don't know, but there used to be a connection just south of 21st Street
>interlocking).
That must be where the Dan Ryan is crossing over the chicago river, on the
"Big Bridge".
Anyway, the track or at least the R-O-W, lays right next to the former
>PRR main, which Amtrak uses, pretty much all the way down to about 47th
>Street,
>where the C&WI swung over to a more westerly alignment.
That must have been just north of clearing yeard.

>The Dolton main line of the C&WI (now UP) crosses I-57 just south of 95th
>Street, shortly after I-57 begins (where it splits from the Dan Ryan) and
>for a
>short distance heads due west; the C&WI is on a north-south alignment here,
>and
>this bridge over I-57 actually had a metal C&WI herald, which I believe is
>still there but rusted over!
Ill have to go see it.

>The Skyway did not cross the C&WI anywhere.
Being that the CWI swung around crossed the Ryan at 90th street, there'd be
no
way that it could have.

>Mike Schafer
>Lee, Illinois
Thank you very much for the clarification.