Re: (erielack) RE:

In a message dated 3/25/2005 10:12:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
paultup_@_optonline.net writes:

What is  that pregnant lump on top of the boiler just ahead of the cab?

> Peter Heimbach

Darn good question! I'm  not the steam aficionado here, but these appear on
the  rebuilt-from-camelback DL&W steamers. I'm curious as well - can  anyone
explain it?

Peter
I'm not much of a steam officianoto, but I know that many Lackawanna  engines
had some, for the lack of a better term, valves up there that had a  shield
over them.  Apparently the shield was like valve covers,  EXPENDABLE.  You see
photos with the shield and you see many photos with it  gone.   The model RR
brass engines, ( pacifics) give you that  part as an optional separate piece.

Bob