Re: (erielack) Paterson Yard office and Paterson Junction

In a message dated 3/19/2005 5:35:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wsmith5957_@_hotmail.com writes:

John,
Isn't that the yard referred to as 'the iron hole' ???????? I  fired commuter
trains from Hoboken up the ERIE mainline (& branches)  and we referred to the
yard as the 'iron hole' as in we're coming up on  the iron hole, or there's
the iron hole job.
This was in  the mid 60s, & it's been a while, so I wonder if anone can
clarify  this.
Regards,
Walt Smith

Walt
The Iron Hole was the actual Erie Freight yard, which became an Auto Junk
yard, and then an Auto Impound Yard, over 20 years ago.  The actual  yard used
for freight operations, shortly after the merger, or when the Erie  stopped
starting trains out of Paterson Station, was the old Erie Passenger  Yard. I have
no idea on a correct date for that. The old passenger  yard  was on the east
bound side of the Main, the Iron Hole was on the west  bound side of the main,
but pretty much across from each other. The yard office  was in the old
passenger yard.

Bob